HISTORY OF LAWTON
Over seventy years ago, Lawton Alternative School was founded in the growing Sunset District. The school was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), which provided work to nearly eight million Americans during the Great Depression. Most of the school buildings in the area were built by the same architects in an Art Deco influenced style known as "Streamline Moderne." This type of style emphasized curving forms, long horizontal lines, and sometimes nautical themes. Source: Sunset Beacon.
Today, Lawton is a Kindergarten through 8th Grade school with an open enrollment which allows students from any San Francisco neighborhood to apply to attend. Our school-wide priority is to improve the academic performance of all our students by developing each student's learning potential through a wide variety of challenging programs that provide them with as many active learning and problem solving to reach their full academic potential. We endeavor to become better citizens through adherence to our motto, "Respect, Responsibility, and Compassion." Our Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is committed to fostering a strong sense of community and raising funds to support the classrooms with materials, enrichment programs, and extracurricular activies.
TODAY AT LAWTON
Lawton was named a CA Distinguished school last year, an elite title given only to the best and brightest schools in CA.
Some of our other features:
* K-8th Grade
* 605 students, small school= close community
* CA Distinguished School: 1986, 1993, 2002, 2014, 2018
* Ranked in top 6% of 5,490 schools in CA
* Ranked #7 in all of San Francisco
* An impeccable reputation for Academics and more
* Recipient of a Technology Grant for our Middle School Students
* Lawton offers programs including but not limited to: Art, PE, Music for all of K-8, Technology
* Librarian on site
* Before and After-school care and activities available
* A New Green School Yard
* Active PTA which helps to fund various programs/extras including but not limited to: Graduations, Field Trips, BBQ’s, Spring Carnival, Haunted House, Community Events, Lunar New Year Celebration, Music for K-3 & Much More!